What is home automation system and its types
[With Pros & Cons]
Last Updated Aug. 10, 2020
What is Home Automation System?
In this digital age, ‘home automation system’ is not a novel concept.
Its popularity has increased over the past few years due to advancement in automation technology or due to the level of convenience delivered by this technology.
You can use one device to remotely control different electrical and electronic devices around a house and nothing is more convenient than this.
Thus, home automation is a network of hardware interface, software interface and electronic interface.
It integrates various appliances and devices around the house via Internet.
Each device in your house is fitted with different sensors and they are used to connect the devices through Internet.
Therefore, you can manage the devices using a Smartphone or e-tablet. You can control the home automation products from anywhere irrespective of the location.
Home Automation Types
There are two home automation types depending upon the method of communication between various devices.
All devices are connected to the main controller that is known as Programmable Logic Controller in this type of home automation system. The devices are attached to the actuators in order to maintain communication with the main controller. A computer that communicates with the main controller is used in order to centralize the entire operation of a system.
A wireless home automation system can be easily installed and used for various home-control functions.
Freedom from the wire is the main benefit of using this automation system.
A wireless home automation system can be installed and uninstalled without retaining a specialist’s service.
Pros and Cons of Home Automation Systems
Often people are in the horns of dilemma for installing a perfect home automation system.
You may think about whether to install a wireless or wired home automation system.
There are home automation benefits available through both types of systems. The following points may help you determine which system will satisfy your unique requirements and demands.
Wireless Home Automation Systems
- Wireless automation system can be used for various home-control functions. It can be installed without drilling holes into the walls or without running cables from one room to another.
- You may install a wireless home automation system without hiring a technician. Hence, you can avoid the installation charges that can cost you hundreds of dollars.
- You can easily remove a wireless automation system, as there is no cable to uninstall. Renters may benefit due to this feature, as they can easily move the automation systems to the new location without damaging the walls of a rental unit.
- Internet connectivity is required at every point
Wired Home-Automation System
- Low connectivity issues.
- You need not worry about security breaches after the installation.
- Changes to the network or password do not interfere with the performance of the equipment.
- Personal data can only be accessed physically.
- It is costly to install, as a skilled engineer needs to be hired.
- Complex system.
- Requires rewiring.
- Running cables from one room to another is a time-consuming process.
- Entire system depends upon the performance of a single hub.
Home Automation System do not just increase the level of convenience for the users. They can lower the energy bill, increase the level of home’s security and create a perfect ambience for mood enhancement.
When living at a Smart home, you can control all devices, appliances and motor-operated appliances by using an IR controller, Smartphone app or a single Smart Switch.